Our district is established as per the provision “A district with the name of “Sultangazi” is established in Istanbul province to be a center for the neighborhoods and parts of the neighborhoods stated in the list no (22) attached and for establishment of municipality with the same name. as per the article 1 Base No 24 on Establishment of District of the Law No 5747 “Establishment of Districts within Metropolitan City and Making Changed on Some Laws” published in the Duplicate Official Gazette No 262284 on 22.03.2008. Acceptance Date 06.03.2008”
Major Historical Works in Sultangazi
Güzelce Aqueduct : Güzelce Arch, Gözlüce Arch or Cebeciköy Arch is a historical aqueduct within the boundaries of Cebeci neighborhood of Sultangazi district of Istanbul. It has the height of 29.5 meters and length of 155 meters; and there are 11 eyes at the top and 8 eyes at the bottom. The thicknesses of the walls of the arch are 5.4 meter at the bottom and 2.6 meter at the top. Cut stones were used in making of the arch.
Constructed by Sinan the Architect is within Alibeykoy Dam basin. It may be viewed closely in summers where the water in the dam pond reduces significantly. It managed to preserve the architectural characteristics of the 16th century in which it was constructed. There is only minimal risk of destruction for the structure since there is no settlement area around its nearby and it is under the dam water by half.
Mağlova Aqueduct (1554-1562) : Being the biggest and most glorious aqueduct made by Sinan the Architect it is within Sultangazi district.
There are two arches in Sultangazi made by Sinan the Architect: Mağlova and Güzelce Aqueducts. Mağlova Aqueduct or Muallak Aqueduct was constructed by Sinan the Architect during 1554-1562 at Alibey Creek valley in Istanbul. It is near Cebeci village in Sultangazi district today. Although t was damaged by the flood occurred in 1563, it was repaired and restored in the same year.
The dam pond of Alibeykoy dam covers nearly one fourth of the structure. The aqueduct continues to carry water to Istanbul. The work is considered as one of the masterpieces of the water architecture in the world.
Church: Sultangazi Cebeci village is the mountain houses of Istanbul Romans and a picnic area on Sundays; there is a church used by Istanbul Romans once; there was a church in which Sunday prayers were conducted the church used to have large ovens. Breads were cooked and given to the army of Mustafa Kemal at these ovens. The Romans at the region immigrated to Greece during the great exchange at Ataturk period; the church was not used after the Exchange; and was damaged due to treasure seeking by the people around it; currently it ruined and abandoned.
Sultangazi triangulation stones: Triangulation stones are reference measurement points; they are located at high hills. Map area measurements are conducted by using such stones; triangulation stones are under protection of the government; triangulation stones may not be moved under any circumstances and for any reason.
There are two Sultangazi triangulation stones
Triangulation stone between the city park and bread factory.
Triangulation stone neat the fire tower at the east hill of Cebeci village.